About Me

My photo
I'm just a young college student living my life & writing it down.. one day at a time! I hope you guys enjoy reading my blog as much as i enjoy writing it(: Let me know if you have suggestions & if you blog as well!

Monday, May 21, 2012

Day One: Summer Livin'

The flight & then some. 


Summer is finally here & boy do I have HUGE plans! 
My parents recently moved to Germany, since my dad got a new job. My summer will be spent in Europe spending quality time with them & traveling the world!

DayOne:

Today consists of leaving my grandparents house to head to New Orleans so I can board the plane to Germany and my sister (who came along for the road trip - she's so sweet) will be flying back to DFW. We left the house around 8:30am. My pawpaw stopped and got us some donuts for the 3 hour trip, and then we hit the road. We arrived at the airport around 11 or so.. my flight boarded at 12:35 and left at 1:40.. Surely i have enough time right...? (of course not)

We check in, and walk up to the counter to check my bag and what do you know? It's ten pounds over the weight limit.. soooo my pawpaw if forced into buying me a new suitcase AT THE AIRPORT. Everybody knows the airport is extremely overpriced.. So here I am on the floor in the airport switching my clothes over to the new bag.. finally, the bags are both under the limit! But what do you know.. it's almost $100 dollars to check the new bag, since it's international.. 

After that mess is done, I go with my sister to check her bags and whatnot. She tells me I can go ahead and go through security since my plane now board in 30 minutes. Of course, I say no because surely the security line is short.. (how gullible I am). When my sister is finished checking her bags and all that good stuff, we walk towards security. My sisters flight was out of a different terminal so it was now time to tell her and my pawpaw goodbye :( sad. i'll miss them both this summer. The security line was INCREDIBLY LONG. and took FOREVER. 

My flight was boarding in about 3 minutes.. and I was just now getting to the front of the line.. Just my luck..

Cost to not split my suitcase and put it on the plane: $170
Cost of a new suitcase to split my things: $70
Cost to check an additional back internationally: $80
Sitting on the airport floor switching all my things over and then having to RUN through the airport because I suck at packing and the security line was sooo long: PRICELESS 



Around 4pm I arrived in Philadelphia for my connecting flight which was at 8pm. 
I wasted time by grabbing a meal, doing a little shopping, and searching for a spa.. haha. The time actually passed by quickly and before I knew it I was boarding the plane to FRANKFURT! (:
It was a super uncomfortable and long flight. I took some Benadryl to sleep but only slept about 4 hours.

I arrived in Frankfurt at around 3am Texas time, 10am here. My parents greeted me and took me to my Oma's house. She cooked a yummy German lunch for us and baked a cake to celebrate. It was all so delicious. I took a shower and an unexpected nap (oops) and when I woke up my aunt, uncle, and cousin were there to see me. We talked for a while and then headed down to the gorgeous garden. They don't have yards here since they live in a high rise (apartment), so each person has their own little yard in a central place, which they plant flowers and have patio furniture for people to enjoy some fresh air. (: They're awesome. Around 7 we finally came back to my parents cute apartment and relaxed before we went to sleep.

Day one was actually kind of two days.. haha. I was super tired and worn out, but I was already having so much fun. 

What a GREAT start to my summer vacay. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment